Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Beautiful Structural Timber Trusses

I ran across these structural timber trusses today when I was looking at small home plans from Ross Chapin Architects and it reminded me of the Parts of a Structural Timber Truss sketchcast I made a while back.

These structural timber trusses at the Whidbey Institute are absolutely beautiful. I am not sure who made them but I will probably try to find out later.

Structural Timber Trusses at Whidbey HallThey have an impressive sense of balance. I especially like the way they burst out of the vertical columns along walls and reach up to the walls as well as the ceilings. The timber trusses themselves support the structure of the building instead of being supported by the wall and only supporting the roof. These structural timber trusses have a great balance between being structural and aesthetically appealing. They are as interesting as they are functional.

Structural Timber Trusses on ColumnsHere's a broad view of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments or questions here. Thank you for reading Wood Science.